Friday 1 January 2016

Finding THE Jeans

Some people wait a life time, for a moment like this. I think Kelly Clarkson was singing about finding true love or something just as sentimental, but I know that some people wait a life time to find the perfect pair of jeans. My moment has come. 

As a human being on this planet, I’ve been wearing jeans for the majority of my life. That’s almost 23 years of various cuts and coloured denims, so I know a thing or two about picking out jeans. Sadly, I also know a thing or two about not being able to buy jeans from any stores on the high street due to my height. I’m 5’11; long torso long legs, and nowhere within my price range caters for that.

I recently wrote a lengthy diatribe about hating shopping for trousers/jeans in particular and how hard the high street have made it, but now - elated - I can safely say how happy I am to have found a style of jeans that I love and that fit me well. We all wear jeans - it’s a part of our culture. Bruce Springsteen’s artwork for Born In The USA is only half as brilliant as it is because of his jeans (and amazing ass…)


Anyway, back to the point in hand. This autumn, I bought a pair of jeans from Topshop because they were the only ones long enough in the whole of Southampton. Now, I’m realising how much I love them. Normally, because I wear jeans every single day (in work and at home) I wear through them pretty quickly, and although my Topshop jeans have faded, they’re still going mighty strong. 

So, ladies and gentlemen. Let me introduce to you the jeans that shall henceforth be known as the “Lex” jeans, otherwise known as The Jamie Jeans - Tall - Size 10, Length 36’’ in black. Obviously in black. Thank the lord for Toyshop’s instore Tall Range.
I’m sure to another generation this is going to sound weird, but I feel like finding THE pair of jeans that makes you feel both sexy and comfy, casual and smart, dressed for the part and feeling like yourself is a right of passage. There’s a time in your life when you grasp the jeans on their hanger in the store changing room, that’s always a little too hot for your liking, and you look up to the denim Gods and whisper “…thank you…” as the lights in the changing room dim, a halo of light appears above you and you can hear the faint echo of the hallelujah chorus. 

 I will live in Jamie Jeans from now on, until I venture into another style from Topshop who now have my jean-loyalty, but overall I’ve found my match made in denim heaven. They’re tight in all the right places with rips in the knees so I don’t ever look too overdressed; they’re a welcome drink in the sahara wasteland of jeans made my designers who only cater to 32” legs. Trust me, those extra four inches make a world of difference.



I know it may seem strange to write about the sheer love of an item of clothing, but when those jeans make you feel like Kelly Kapowski in all the right ways, there’s nothing I can do but shout about it. All the love for those jeans.

Here's the link for my Topshop jeans if you fancied a look-see at the jeans that have got me all excited.
Here's also a couple of pictures of me and some of my best friends from University - I am wearing the jeans from heaven in these pictures, but apparently no full length pictures of me exist in the world.










(I do not own Bruce Springsteen's Cover Art or this delightful picture of Kelly Kapowski, images were sourced here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment