Sunday 13 December 2015

Brown Paper Packages (Tied Up With String)

Christmas can be a tricky time for some of us for one reason or another, but when it’s dialled down and stripped back, Christmas is all about spending time with your family; to me, anyway. When I say ‘family’, I mean whatever shape your family takes on; friends, families and those in between. Whoever make up your most important people - get together with them this holiday season and remind yourselves how lucky we are to be surrounded by people we love. 

I’ve really been struggling to get into the Christmas spirit this season and I think that’s down to retail. Retail is such a horror show at Christmas, it’s hard to do anything when you get home, let alone get excited about something. I can’t imagine working in a store that I didn’t love at Christmas - I couldn’t do it. 

Today was the first day that I really forced myself to get up and get into the Christmas spirit. Being the first of three days off, I decided I would go out and collect up some wrapping-paper bits from town and see what all the other stores were doing for Christmas. I know John Lewis’ Gold/Glass/Feather decorations have been very popular online (and I did actually pick up one to give my Mum) and Paperchase are doing a really cute ‘Santa around The World’ kind of theme, which I really love. 




I spent my evening writing cards (working my way down a list longer than both my arms) and wrapping gifts. I’ve been watching various Vlogmas’ and getting excited about not only our Christmas Work Party this week, but also Christmas as a whole. 





I always find myself getting a little down that I can’t afford to get everyone the things I’d like to have some really great gift ideas that would be perfect for some of my friends, but I just can’t afford to execute them in the way I’d like to. I think we’re all in the same boat on that one. 

After all, I’m trying to remind myself about dialling the christmas consumerism down, it’s the thought that counts and the people that you spend your time off with this holiday. 

I always like to buy my christmas cards from Paperchase because they do really awesome designs AND donate a portion of the funds to certain charities. Last year, some of the money I spent on cards Paperchase gave to The Terrance Higgins Trust (which is a charity I often donate to) and this year, my christmas cards are supporting Water Aid and Cystic Fibrosis Support. 







Whilst on the subject of Paperchase, I’m now a proud of owner of one of their ‘treat me’ cards and a handful of their cutest Christmas stickers. I had some left over from last year and this year these will adorn my handwritten tags on my hand tied packages. 
The Paperchase stickers I’d chosen centered around a sort of Christmas-In-London theme, which makes me happy and reminds me of home, and they also match a set of my cards very well. 

From a very young age, I can remember that my Mum has had the strictest themed Christmasses imaginable. I feel this is rubbing off on me, given that when I was shopping today I found myself loitering near the red-and-white ribbons, looking for matching accessories to go with my rustic brown paper packages. 










I seem to have come away from shopping with two Yankee Candles to burn during my christmas decoration and preparation; Cinnamon Stick and Spiced Orange to bring that really ‘christmassy’ scent to my room. 



However you spend your Christmas this year, have a good one.
Sending seasonal-love from me and mine to you and yours.
Happy Christmas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment