Monday 14 December 2015

The Need For Good Underwear.

It is a need, after all, not a want. I really do need to wear nice underwear and mainly for no one aside for myself. Cora Harrington from The Lingerie Addict agrees that women who want to wear wonderful lingerie can be doing it for themselves and don’t necessarily have to be doing it to impress a man even though every other article online reads “Buying the right underwear to impress your man…”

“Everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie” - Cora Harrington, The Lingerie Addict. 

One of the many reasons I love nice underwear is that it’s almost like a little sexy-secret that only you know about (unless you choose to show someone else you saucy minxes) You might be hiding in your work uniform, but underneath you’re rocking a badass matching set. One of my favourite blogs/ Instagrams at the moment is The Lingerie Files - check them out for beautiful, beautiful pictures of amazing lingerie that make you want to give your whole wardrobe an overhaul. I love The Lingerie Files because they believe that underwear can (sometimes) be outerwear and that lingerie is all about making you feel more confident and sexy in yourself.
When you wake up on the wrong side of bed and you have to be somewhere in an hour, a good selection of underwear can make the day a whole lot better. If you feel happy and sexy, hopefully it’ll shine through.

Nothing feels less sexy than your ancient bra strap finally giving up the ghost and snapping. Or the elastic in your favourite panties giving out so much that you can barely keep them up; throw them out, invest in something amazing. As useful as the handful of Primark pants for £5 is, they're sure as hell not going to make you happy in the long run. I'm not saying cheap isn't good, but some pieces of lingerie deserve to be treated like the fashion items they are. 

The Lingerie Files also has this cute image explaining ‘lingerie terms’ for those who are just figuring out what they like. 

This image belongs to The Lingerie Files. 

When I was younger and I started wearing real underwear, as opposed to days-of-the-week pants, I shopped in New Look, Tammy Girl (way back then) and M&Co - remember them? After that came the La Senza phase, and to this day, two of my favourite bras that I own are from La Senza but over the last few years everything I’ve seen in La Senza has become a little too neon-and-leopard print for me. 

Victoria’s Secret has recently opened in my local shopping centre, which is West Quay in Southampton, and reminded me how much I loved the brand. I shopped at VS when I was in NYC and then again when I was reunited in Las Vegas; since then VS have branched out in the UK and seem to be popping up everywhere.
My favourite slip/babydoll that I own is black (obviously) and silky - that was a Vegas VS purchase and now that they’re open so close by I can see myself spending a little too much in their VS/Pink store. 




My next purchase is going to have to be a satin Kimono from VS as I get too hot in a full blown dressing gowns and the one I’ve got my eye on is nicely balanced between sexy and simple. 

With the more decadent lingerie, there’s an air of putting on a costume that I quite like - meaning you can be whoever you want to be, and your tastes might change from costume to costume. At the same time, because ‘underwear’ is such a vast term, you can really explore things you’ve never worn before and find out what you really like, especially before you start buying underwear to impress someone else… 


Of course I’m not damning the idea of buying underwear with someone else in mind, I’m just saying it’s important to make yourself feel special first. Good underwear is emotionally good for you; it makes you feel happy, sexy and strong. To all those people out there who are buying lingerie for their significant others this Christmas, good luck and happy shopping. Buying someone else underwear without them knowing takes balls, and I’m so glad that you’re doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment