Sunday 26 June 2016

5 Tips on Packing For Your Summer Holiday!




I can’t write the words ‘Summer Holiday’ without hearing my Dad singing along to Cliff Richard’s summertime hit, as I sat in the back of a people carrier as he drove my cousins and I to Disneyland Paris, every year. A lot has changed since then, and now that I’m an adult I apparently have to pack for myself and whilst I do go away for the odd weekend, I haven’t been away-away on a proper summer holiday for at least four years and I haven’t been seen on a beach, in a bikini for at least six years, so you understand my panic when my boyfriend invites me for 15 days away in the blissful sunshine of Mallorca, with nothing but hand luggage… 





Here’s what I’ve learned so far on my packing preambles.

  1. ‘That’ plastic zip-lock bag.

    When you fly hand-luggage only, your friendly airport staff will provide you with a little plastic bag to deposit all your liquids* in.
    *Liquids here mean any creams, pastes or liquids (most make-up items) that must be less than 100ml and must collectively add up to less than 1 litre.
    Even though I don’t leave for another month, when I put my make up on every morning, I stare down in dismay and whittle my collection down in my head to ‘holiday must-haves’. Whilst I don’t want to overpack and be that girl, I’d like to be prepared for most situations.
    We’re flying with EasyJet and while most airlines only provide a 15x15cm plastic baggy - EasyJet go by a 20x20cm rule and my God, will I be glad of the extra room, I’m sure!
  2. How much space?

    Again, when you fly hand-luggage only there are various requirements on the size of your carry on bags. Lucky for me, EasyJet allow two pieces of carry on luggage; one ‘carry on’ bag and one ‘personal bag’ - your ‘personal bag’ is considered to be a handbag, a laptop case etc and should be no bigger than 45x36x20cm (which has to be able to be placed under the seat in front of you) and your ‘carry on’ bag should be no bigger than 56x45x25cm; this piece of luggage is sized according to being able to fit in the overhead storage bins.
    Important as hell to Google your airlines allowances on cabin baggage before you fly - you don’t want to end up caught at the airport with too many bags.

    It’s the exact measurements of these bags that lead me onto my next tip…
  3. Go smaller or solid…

    As I’m hoping the weather in Mallorca in the height of Summer will be aptly reflective of the season and be in the late twenties to early thirties (C) this means most of my clothing items will be substantially smaller than my usual attire (much to my panic)
    I’ve also cottoned on to the clever idea of ‘travel sizes/mini’s’ or swapping out products  that would usually be liquid into solids. I’m a panicker that liquids in my luggage mean leaking in my luggage, so now I solid where I can.
    Shampoo and Conditioner - don’t even worry. Lush have got the biggest range of solid haircare that you could possibly imagine so I’ve chosen Seanik and Jason & The Argan Oil for my shampoo options and Big for my conditioner choice.
    Sunscreen? Again, Lush has come to my rescue. I’ve chosen both Sunblock (a solid, in-shower sunscreen) and Powdered Sunshine (a translucent powder) for my trip and will pick up some lotion sunscreen whilst I’m there.
    Deodorants? I’m sure there’s a rule somewhere that you can’t take aerosols on planes, so I picked up a Dove Stick Deodorant; semi-waterproof and much smaller than a can! (Better for the environment too!)
  4. Communicate!

    If you’re flying with someone, then perfect. Talk about who can take what; you both don’t need to take ALL of the toiletries under the sun. Also, if one of you has been there before (true in my case) talk about what is already at your destination; sunscreen, hairdryers, some toiletries, beach towels…
    The more items you can eradicate by communicating (a strange concept for humans, I know) the more space you’ll have in your carry on bag. Winner. 
  5. IMPORTANT THINGS!

    Please, please, please find your passport and other important travel documents way in advance. Make sure everything is in-date and not about to expire any minute. If you need any Doctor’s notes for customs exemptions for whatever reason, get them sorted way in advance. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this one - but the panicky person in me, is panicking for you. 








That’s just a select few of the many things running through my mind as I get ready for my trip. Hopefully you’re as prepared as I’d like to be.
Enjoy YOUR trip, I hope you fly safe and have an awesome time. 


(Pictures used in this post are from six years ago. Am well overdue a beach holiday.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment